Best Places to visit during the Winter in India – Winter is fantastic for holidaying and experiencing the chilly outdoors. However, Mumbaikars hardly experience the chills of winters in the city. But the moment you step out of town, even if it is too good old Pune, you will find the weather change and temperatures drop. Winter months are beautiful and everything around gets magical. Christmas is the best celebration the winter season gives us and then the entire month of January India experiences good chilly weather. In fact, it is the best time you can travel enhancing the outdoor experience and being in touch with Nature.
Let us discover 5 Best Places to visit during the Winter in India in Random order.
Rajasthan is totally magical in the winter months, which makes it to the top of the list- Most visited holiday destination in India. Udaipur has to be the most visited city in Rajasthan as it so much to offer, beautiful Forts and Palaces. Each one tells a romantic story of our ancestral kings and Queens. This city of lakes makes for the perfect winter destination, cultural center, and face of Rajasthan. However, winters are severe here but you need not stay tucked under your blanket. Once the sun is up there is plenty to explore and enjoy this beautiful city. Wouldn’t it be a perfect picture with a cup of masala tea in your hand and the sight of the calm waters of Lake Pichola.
Things to do in Udaipur
1. Visit the forts of Udaipur. Main two being Chittorgarh fort and Kumbhalgarh Fort
2. Spend a day at City Palace and Lake Palace
3. A trip to Jag Niwas Palace or Lake Palace as its better known.
4. Evening stroll around the Ahar Museum which is a cluster of cenotaphs (burial monuments or memorials) of the Maharanas of Mewar.
5. Boatride on Lake Pichola
6. Enjoy a cultural evening at Bagore ki Haveli, another important sight in Udaipur.
Gather more information on this most romantic destination of Asia here
Munnar is a quaint little hill station in South India, it is often referred to as the paradise for nature lovers. Cochin International Airport is the nearest airport and Munnar is 110 kilometers away by road. The greenery is seen all around and scenic appeal has made it much sought out tourist destination for the urban settler. It is this beauty and charm of Munnar that is the reason why it is listed among the best winter destinations in India.
Don’t forget to carry heavy woolens to light shawls even an umbrella whilst you travel during winter months. The outdoor and proximity to expanses of tea plantations, misty surroundings, waterfalls, and other exotic flora and fauna is what you will definitely enjoy. This is especially beautiful in winters when a dreamy mist pervades.
Things to do in Munnar
1. Drive through lush Tea estates
2. Take a walk down to the lake and enjoy a boat ride at Mattupetty Dam
3. Trip to the Highest ever Kolukkumalai Tea Factory
4. Enjoy a nature trail and walk through the spice gardens at Munnar
5. Get involved in the local Dance form of Kathakali and try your hands at mask painting.
6. Stay at a boutique heritage hotel.
We visited Munnar in 2019. Here are more details on this Southern Winter Paradise.
Is there a good time to visit Goa? It’s an all-round the year destination for those looking for some sun sand and nightlife. And when it’s a long weekend there is no looking back. So rain or shine, Goa always happens to be the first choice for all holidaymakers. But does winter make it any different? Oh yes, during Christmas Goa hotels are practically sold out. The best time to visit Goa is during the December-March months especially for Christmas and the Goa Carnival. In fact, Goa is one tourist destination in India where hotel package prices are actually high during the Christmas and New Year period. This former Portuguese colony has so much to see and do.
Things to do in Goa
1. Goa Tribal Festival, Tattoo Festival, Sunsplash, and the Zatrotsav of Shantadurga.
2. North Goa beaches are bustling with cafes, massage, restaurants, and beach parties.
3. More beach parties at Baga, Candolim, Calangute, Anjuna, and other night clubs.
4. Most beaches offer water sports activities like scooters, scuba diving, snorkeling, and fishing.
5. The pleasant water temperature makes it ideal and safe for swimming.
6. Local Sightseeing and local shopping experiences, eg- Mapusa Market.
Another winter destination that is immerging and getting popularity amongst tourists is Rishikesh. One can truly enjoy the winter season here. Rishikesh weather in December makes it the best time to experience what it has to offer. Wrapped in a chilly climate, the temperature drops as low as 8 degrees Celsius and it gets even more magical in this Yoga Capital of the World.
Things to do in Rishikesh
1. Lose yourself to the ghats of the Ganga- perform Garga Aarti.
2. Don’t miss to visit the Beatles Ashram
3. Experience white water rafting on the Ganga.
4. Enjoy a plate of best chole puri at any outlets of Chotiwalla
5. Rishikesh’s visit is incomplete with a visit to the Parmath Ashram.
6. Attend an outdoor yoga class and take a Nature walk to Ram Jhulla.
Pondicherry (or Puducherry)
This mesmerizing coastal town of Tamil Nadu is best to visit during the winter. Pondicherry has been a French Colony in the past up to 1954 and totally gives you a feel of an ancient French town. Lovingly called Pondy, this quaint destination has a moderate winter yet summers can be severe. The best months to visit are from December and ends in February.
The minimum temperature drops to 17°C with occasional rain showers too. However, these rain spells will not be of any hindrance to your travel plans. The winter season is considered as an ideal time to explore this Colonial town and enjoy beach activities and water sports. The festival of Christmas and New Year are celebrated with immense joy and enthusiasm. It also sees an increase in the activities at the Aurobindo Ashram. Pondy has also been listed among the topmost winter honeymoon spots in India.
Things to do in Pondicherry
1. Bask in the sun and walk along the Promenade Beach
2. Enjoy a boat ride to the Paradise Beach Island from Chunnambar Boat House
3. Go bird watching at Ousteri Lake
4. Find your inner peace at the Auroville Ashram
5. One can explore the colonial charm of the city on a bike.
6. White Town Heritage walk
This blog post is a part of #SwBlogTrain hosted by stylewhack. Under this blog train, you can enjoy 8 beautifully crafted articles by the popular bloggers of India. Hope you liked my post on the the best places to visit during the winter in India. You can visit the next blog post by Dipika Singh and get your scoop! So, sit back and enjoy reading these winter-rry articles.