My introduction to Yoga
In school, Yoga was introduced to us in the 4th Standard. Miss Asha, the yoga teacher taught us how to perform different asanas, deep breathing while explaining the benefits of each. Back then I never understood why sitting in a position for ten counts would help me, but now I realise its importance. I was very flexible and could touch my nose to my knees and even do Padmasana with my legs folded in the perfect way. It felt so good when Ms Asha praised me in front of the class deepening my love for it. However my flexibility has decreased over the years but my love for Yoga has only increased four folds.
My Yoga Routine
I am quite a fitness freak, enjoy taking my walks, exercising outdoors, and free hand weights. But most of all its yoga that has kept me active and on the go. Thrice a week I go for a group yoga class that includes breathing exercises, Surya Namaskars and other asanas. Sometimes after the yoga class we walk down the road to a nearby coconut stall to get cooled down with nice big naryal pani.
The best way to attain a pure mind, soul and body is through discipline. “Yoga means discipline – channelizing of energy, strength and beauty to body, mind and soul.”
Read divine independence post on top 5 favorite Poses she practices at Home
Now for Surya Namaskar
The Surya Namaskar is a complete exercise or Sun Salutation is a sequence of 12 powerful yoga poses. Besides being a great cardiovascular workout, Surya Namaskar has immense positive impact on the body and mind.
Surya Namaskar is best done early morning on an empty stomach. One complete Salutation routine consists of two sets, and each set is composed of 12 yoga poses. You may have practiced a different version of this Sun Salutation. However, it is advisable to stick to one particular version and practice it regularly for best results.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar
1. Helps in weight loss – Surya Namaskar strengthens the core, while stretching your abdominal muscles that aids in shedding pounds around your belly. The movements will also help in improving your metabolism.
2. Helps strengthen joints and muscles – Surya Namaskar stretches and strengthen the area around your muscles, joints, ligament, as well as the skeletal system. The 12 steps help to improve the flexibility of your spine.
3. Helps digestive system function better – Surya Namaskar also helps in the smooth running of your digestive system. These 12 yoga poses will help increase the blood flow to your digestive tract resulting in better functioning of the intestines. When you perform the postures, your limbs become symmetrical helping your internal vital organs to function better.
4. Helps skin problems – While performing the Surya Namaskar, your heart rate increases improving the blood circulation. This automatically brings a beautiful glow on your face. Such a natural way to keep wrinkles at bay, making your skin look ageless and radiant. Also keeping your skin healthy with no kinds of skin problems.
5. Helps sleep disorders – With the regular practice of Surya Namaskar one can improve your sleeping patterns. The asanas will help calm your mind, giving you a good sleep at night. This will ensure that you do not resort to drugs to give you a restful sleep.
6. Helps to keep anxiety away – helps improve your memory and nervous system and also helps calm you down and get rid of anxiety. Even helps the thyroid gland to function normally.
7. Helps detox – In Yoga we have to deep breathe and hold breath in certain asanas, because of active inhalation and exhalation process our lungs get thoroughly ventilated. The blood remains oxygenated hence helping to detoxifying one’s body by getting rid of carbon dioxide and other toxic gases. Here is how you can perform Surya Namaskar the right way.
I am happy to pen this post on International World Yoga day, keeping the theme “On track to good health”. Need to thank blogger Seema Wadhwa of curiosity cult for the kind introduction. In turn I will hand over the baton to Yogeeta who blogs at vrag.in
She is a #lifestyleblogger from Pune who assists her husband for online software development. Her Blog reflects all honest opinions. She strives to raise awareness about natural products and encourage discussion around organic products.
Kudos Momsmethods and Blogsikka who are the hosts of this blog train. It is generously sponsored by Mojoco Coconut water, it gives us all 100% Natural and economically priced pure coconut water right to our doorstep. Mojoco Nariyal Pani is a healthy option that can give your energy back quick boost. It is a cholesterol free, a low-calorie energy drink, enriched with essential electrolytes. Now get into a healthy habit, ditch that high calorie aerated drinks and go for the goodness of Mojoco Coconut Water, Nature’s Energy Drink!
You and buy MOJOCO from Amazon (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B06XCQMGHW) or big basket.